Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Round on the ends and 'hi' in the middle














This 4th of July weekend I headed east to Ohio while David headed West to Vegas. Saturday the Curtis clan spent the day in Columbus celebrating Grandma Curtis' 85th birthday. She was surrounded by siblings, kids, grandkids and a great-grandbaby. What better way to celebrate another year than with family and a hearty helping of bbq?


On Sunday Mom, Larry and I headed north to Akron and then onto Berlin (pronounced "Burl'n") and Winesburg in Amish Country. After a true homestyle feast, we retreated to the Amish Door Inn where we had the run of the place. Little Mike played in the pool, we all ate birthday cake, played games, watched slides from the Isreal trip, and relaxed among the rolling hills and freshly painted red barns of Amish country.

Monday morning fueled up on a hearty Amish breakfast before heading out to shop in Berlin for quilts, miscellaneous wooden things and those potholders that smell like pouporri. We didn't find much to take back, but Grandma and I found some great benches and shady spots to people watch. We saw the man pictured here with a backpack - the kind you use for babies - but instead of a baby he had a poodle with red bows in its hair. I don't know who should have been more embarassed - the man or the dog.










On the way back to Akron we stopped at a forge to practice our blacksmithing.







Tuesday Dad Bailey and I had breakfast and went over to sort through the boxes of sample candles and frames in his garage. Loaded down with all the items I could reasonably carry, we stopped by Uncle David's and then by Heather Knoll for a visit with Grandma.

No comments: